You might have heard of "Squish to Condish," but if you've ever tried it you know it can take a little practice to get it right. Squish to Condish is a method of using your hands to create defined, moisturized, and bouncy waves by squishing conditioner into wet hair.
By squishing the conditioner into your hair, you're helping to define your natural curls or waves, making them look more voluminous and defined. Plus, this method helps reduce frizz and damage to your hair, all while improving moisture retention for healthy, hydrated curls.
What is the Squish to Condish Method?
The "Squish to Condish" method is a hair care technique that is popular among people with wavy and curly hair. The name is short for "squish to condition," which describes the process of conditioning hair while squishing it with your hands to encourage the formation of curls and waves.
Benefits of Squish to Condish
So, the Squish to Condish method is a game-changer for anyone with wavy or curly hair. Not only does it help define your natural curls, but it also helps reduce frizz, improves moisture retention, and minimizes damage. By squishing the conditioner into your hair, you ensure that it's evenly distributed and fully absorbed, promoting healthy, hydrated, and defined curls or waves.
And the best part? This method is gentle and doesn't involve pulling, tugging, or rubbing your hair, which can lead to damage and breakage. So, if you're looking for a new technique to try out on your curls or waves, I highly recommend giving the Squish to Condish method a shot. Your hair will thank you!
How to Squish to Condish
Some of my recent favorite conditioners for wavy and curly hair
Here's how the method works:
- Wash: Start by washing your hair with a shampoo that is gentle and won't strip your hair of natural oils. Rinse!
- Distribute conditioner: Apply a generous amount of conditioner to your hair, making sure to distribute it evenly from the roots to the ends.
- Squish and squeeze hair upwards: Instead of rinsing out the conditioner immediately, begin squishing it into your hair. To do this, use your hands to scrunch and squeeze your hair in an upward motion, starting from the ends and working your way up to the roots. This helps to encourage your curls to form and also helps to distribute the conditioner evenly throughout your hair.
- Let it sink in before rinsing: Once you've squished the conditioner into your hair for a few minutes, I like to let mine sit for a couple minutes to let the conditioner sink so my hair super soft. Once you’re done, you can rinse it out.
How to Rinse After Squish to Condish
After using the Squish to Condish method, it's important to rinse your hair thoroughly to ensure that all the conditioner is removed. Here's how to do it for the best and bounciest results:
- Use cool water: First, rinse your hair with cool water. This helps to close the hair cuticles and lock in moisture, giving your curls a more defined look.
- Squeeze out excess water: Once you've rinsed your hair with cool water, use your hands or a microfiber towel to gently squeeze out any excess water. Be careful not to rub or wring out your hair, as this can cause frizz and damage.
- Use a leave-in conditioner: Using a leave-in conditioner after rinsing your hair will help you detangle without having to brush through and ruin your beautiful curl definition. This can also help provide additional moisture and nourishment to your curls or waves.
- Style your hair: Finally, style your hair as desired. You can air dry your hair or use a diffuser on low heat to dry your curls without causing frizz.
How Often Should You Squish to Condish?
Generally, squishing to condish every time you wash your hair is a good cadence. Using the Squish to Condish method regularly can help keep your curls or waves defined, hydrated, and healthy.
However, keep in mind that over-conditioning your hair can lead to buildup and make your hair feel greasy or weighed down. So, it's important to find a balance that works for your hair type and texture.
Can You Squish to Condish Straight Hair?
The Squish to Condish method is specifically designed for wavy and curly hair types because it helps to enhance and define natural curls or waves. However, that doesn't mean people with straight hair can't use this method as well!
If you have straight hair and are interested in trying the Squish to Condish method, keep in mind that you may not see the same level of curl definition and volume that someone with wavy or curly hair would. However, this method can still be beneficial for adding moisture and shine to straight hair.
To use the Squish to Condish method on straight hair, simply apply conditioner to your hair in the shower, then use your hands to gently squish the conditioner into your hair. Leave the conditioner in your hair for a few minutes to allow it to absorb, then rinse thoroughly with cool water.
Anyone, no matter their hair type, can give it a try and see how their hair responds.
How to Squish to Condish Conclusion
Hopefully this has been a good explainer on squish to condish. Now go and give it a try and see for yourself! It may take a little bit of practice to get the technique down, but once you do, you'll wonder how you ever managed without it. So, what are you waiting for? Grab some conditioner, get in the shower, and start squishing!